Sunday, March 11, 2012

My Language story

                 I am trilingual. I am fluent in English Spanish and A.S.L. I was raised in a
Hispanic household, and didn’t learn to speak English until I began elementary school. Throughout most of my life I went back and forth using both languages depending on who I was around, easily transitioning or combining both. (Spanglish). I read and wrote in both languages, and was able to translate for my mom whenever she didn’t understand something.
              When I was 25, I had a rare form of cancer in my saliva glands. A relatively large tumor was removed from my mouth leaving me with a severe speech impediment, and I had to relearn how to speak using the muscles in my face, tones, and voice differently.  As a result of my aftercare treatment, I lost partial hearing, labeling me “hearing impaired/hard of hearing”. I state this because it changed the way I used language, as well as the way I received it. Where I was once very vocal and spoke, sang and relished in oral speech, I’m now very quiet and reserved, not because I’m shy, but because it’s sometimes frustrating to talk. I’m not able to use language in the same way, and had to learn to communicate differently because I simply wasn’t being understood. I thrive using alternative forms of communications and ASL is one of the primary ways I “speak”.
.                          Sign Language was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I love the visual aspect of the language and the fluidity that makes it feel like an art form to me when I could no longer sing. It gave me the freedom to express myself without the strain of trying to speak and be understood. The process has been challenging, and because it is a completely different language, with its own set of rules, grammar, and structure, proves a little confusing at times. After all, I didn’t grow up using this language, I’ve never been exposed to it on a consistent level, and I’m learning it later on in life. The signs are so close one sign can mean several different words. There are different “dialects” of ASL, including slang and ever-changing signs that update according to the times. ASL which is much more rigid, adheres strictly to the rules of proper language. English ASL, which is often used among younger people now that are more exposed to main stream, merges the languages. (This is very controversial in the Deaf world.)
               In the present time most of the people in my immediate world speak English or Spanish. Anyone that knew me before I got sick hardly ever have communication issues with me; they’ve been through the journey and have evolved to understand my progressing form of speech. I’ve made friends with many people in the Deaf community to make my transition smoother. It has been stellar in its ability to aid me in speaking freely, without the stares, questions, blank faces, or having to repeat myself ten times. A few of my friends have learned to sign, to better understand me in different situations where it proves itself difficult. I have taken the initiative to offer anyone that plays a role in my life free lessons in basic sign because in the end it benefits me and opens the door for them to decide if they want to continue learning a new language. I now live alone so I can easily go days without orally speaking and function just fine texting, signing or simply being quiet around people I don’t know. Because I struggle with people that don’t know me my situation and/or aren’t accustomed to the way I speak, if I have to interact with them, I often mouth and sign at the same time, and that’s how I communicate on a day to day basis.

3 comments:

  1. I think learning a new language is not easy because of all the grammatical rules but believe ASL would be much more unique to me. It's great you know this language and perhaps it should be mandatory for everyone to know. I have noticed since I was younger how important it is to have translators. I also translated for my parents before they felt comfortable speaking in English but I can say I never saw too many ASL translators. Usually we focus more on having bilingual translators but I have not seen too many ASL which makes me think how ignorant we are in seeing how important it is. I do remember you from class and think you’re a great speaker. I understand everything you say and think there is nothing for you to feel shy about, you speak perfectly well and your vocabulary is fine too. To be honest I never really thought about learning ASL but you have given me a good insight into it and honestly have been inspired to add it to my list of languages to learn. I love learning different languages and just as you also speak three languages: Spanish, English and Italian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an amazing post! Thanks for sharing it all. Like Alicia, I'm inspired to learn ASL and I'm dying to know about English ASL and why it's so controversial. Your writing is lovely! I especially loved, " Sign Language was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I love the visual aspect of the language and the fluidity that makes it feel like an art form to me when I could no longer sing." It makes me want to read and know more about what you mean by that!
    I'm so glad you're in this class (even if they kind of made you take it!). I know we can learn a lot from you and I hope you continue to write about your life in language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your story it's Amazing and it's really give me a good reason to continue what I am actually doing which is learning the most languages that I can.I was born and raised with so many different cultures such as : Italian, Spanish, but my two native languages are French and English (British)beside of the many others dialects that we have.Born in France, and raised in Spain and Cameroon because my parents are from there.Italian it's just a language that I learned in school. I will also like to learn ASL in way to help those who need a translator in Sign language.this was actually my goal,after learning others languages even though you just give me enough strength to learn it quickly in other to fulfill my dreams....

    Pauly.


    It was a great post.To learn something is not so easy. I realized that how the way you struggled.You know English, Spanish and ASL.You learn sign language that's really great. I came here from another country.I know my country language and a little bit of English.My country has English medium school but I never went there because it is so expensive.
    Mohd.

    I like your language story.After reading it, I just remember mine. When I was a kid, I used to know many different languages from other cultures.I was born into three different languages in my country.I know how to speak TWI,GA(west African languages) and English.The most sad thing is when I moved to this country, I have lost one of my languages which is GA,my mom don't speak it! so it's hard to me to speak because nobody around speaks it.I wish I can learn ,and speak it again, but now it's too late.

    Christiana..


    to improve Our English, we need to practice a lot ( speak ,write read and even think), need to take suggestions from the professor.

    ReplyDelete